Home > Home and Personal Safety., Home Products, Electronics & Q/A's., You Need To Know! > Yahoo Answers but don’t always believe it.

Yahoo Answers but don’t always believe it.

I saw a recent article on the Yahoo home page about what to do if your cell phone gets wet. Upon reviewing all the answers, even their best choice was not correct.

It appears they are in the Q/A business to gain advertising space and not checking their answers with any professional staff at all who are qualified to give the correct answer.

That is one thing you must be able to discern while surfing the net, is the information you are viewing actually correct or not.

The best way to make sure the information you seek is actually the correct information, is to find it on a reputable site that deals with that kind of information alone.

For example, if you were seeking information on how to tell if you have Tonsillitis, don’t just take the first answer you find anywhere as being correct. You may be on a page that was written by a kid who had it and what they say may be wrong.

Simply think of the category your question is about and then search for sites that deal with that category alone. For Tonsillitis you would search for “medical references or directories” giving you WEB MD, it is there that you will find the correct answer to your question.

To find out how to replace a starter you would search “auto repair manuals online” and go from there. The trick is to first figure out what category your question belongs in and search that category and go from there. By doing so you will not run across as many wrong answers as you would by just searching “Tonsillitis” or “Starters”.

As for the wet cell phone, Putting it in a bowl of uncooked rice won’t hurt anything and it also won’t speed up the evaporation rate of the water in the phone. The rice does collect moisture that comes from the air but it does nothing more to help you.

First let’s look at how the professionals who fix these items do it on a daily basis. Electronic repair technicians first discharge any stored energy in the form of capacitors or batteries. All caps are discharged and all batteries are removed as soon as it comes in. They do this to prevent voltage from shorting to other components in the device and doing more damage.

So first, as soon as you get it out of the water, remove and dry off the battery and sim card the best you can with a soft cloth or towel.

Next the technicians actually wash their repairs in a soap mixture that cuts grease also. Then they rinse them with water.

Now they dry off all of the water they can by blowing low pressure compressed air all over it until it appears there is no more water left. So now take your phone and try to shake and blow out as much loose water as you can from any crack or opening on the device, until you cant shake or blow out any more. A can of Keyboard duster works well for the air to blow it out with.

Now the technicians place the device in a convection oven set to 100 degrees for 24 hours or longer to get rid of any remaining moisture without warping or melting any of the plastic.

You have to find warm dry heat to place your phone in, that isn’t hotter than the heat coming out of your furnace vent in the wintertime. Place it in front of the vent and keep rotating it a little at a time, and leave it there for days. The key to the device working again is to dry it out completely so it won’t short out inside and removing the battery quick enough before the electronics did short inside of it.

You should dry the sim card and battery in the same manner.

Once all is dry and patience is the key while waiting the couple of days for it to dry out, Insert the sim card and reattach the battery to the phone. If it didn’t short out before pulling the battery and it is completely dry inside, than you should be able to turn it on and start using it once again.

If it doesn’t work you could try drying it longer, but it probably is shorted inside so it’s time to have it replaced. I hope you got the accidental damage warranty when you got it.

Since electronics techs wash repairs of all kinds, all the time, this will work with most all of your electronic gear that may ever get wet. Water doesn’t hurt 99% of electronic parts now days. It’s the electrical shorting that happens when they first get wet or if you try to use them before they dry completely inside!

So remember this, the next time you leave your boom box or Ipod out in the rain, don’t throw it away, try to dry it out first, and if you dry it out completely it may be good as new.

HOT TIP; Water and electricity don’t mix so, if anything gets wet while it is plugged into the wall, make sure you turn off the breaker that puts power to the outlet it is plugged into, before you try to unplug it, or you could be severely hurt or killed if you don’t!!! If you are younger and don’t know what to do, don’t touch it and tell an adult immediately.

Bankruptnooption.

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: